Q: Rpm goes up and down stutters.. without pressing on accelerator

asked by on May 04, 2017

Upon turning on my vehicle the rpm meter continuously bounces up and down without accelerating on the gas pedal.. it also stutters pretty bad and as soon as I threw it back into park the car immediately turned off. What would be the issue? I've had the check engine light on and ran a diagnosis on it with other pc codes popping up but I replaced my O2 sensor and a bunch of other stuff I thought would solve my problem.

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a dirty or failing idle air control valve causing your engine idle to fluctuate. The idle air control valve is a small valve on the engine’s intake system that reads the air intake as it comes into the motor. This is controlled by the car’s ECM which uses this information to make adjustments to the air/fuel ratio depending on various inputs such as outside air temperature, intake air temperature, load and various other things. As you accelerate, your car’s engine is receiving a much higher dose of fuel than when at idle and conversely, when you let off the gas pedal, there is a sudden change in this fuel supply as a result of your foot letting off the pedal. When this happens, the job of the idle air control valve is to bring this deceleration down to a slow and smooth idle rather than suddenly cutting off the fuel supply causing the motor to die. When the idle air control valve is not working properly, this cause a disruption in this process resulting in the engine not being able to idle properly. I would recommend having a professional come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.