My battery light came on and my steering has became very ...

Q: My battery light came on and my steering has became very hard to steer. I have to turn very hard. What could this be

asked by on March 25, 2017

My battery light came on while my steering wheel locked up. It turns but you have to have a strong arm to turn it. It just suddenly came on with no warning

Typically the battery light comes on when the alternator is not providing electrical power to meet demands of the vehicle. That you lost power steering assist along with the battery light coming on, leads me to think the one common thing between them - the serpentine belt drive system - is at fault. The belt is driven by the engine via the crankshaft pulley. It drives the air conditioning compressor, alternator, water pump, and power steering pumps. If the belt broke or came off due either to age, or if possibly the belt tensioner. If the belt came off or broke, the alter will not provide power and the battery warning light will come on. Also, you will lose power steering assist, air conditioning, as well as the water pump will not circulate coolant and cause the engine to overheat. Have a certified technician inspect the vehicle and correct the cause. Driving the vehicle until this is corrected is not recommended.