Q: Take off alternator install - 1992 Plymouth Acclaim V6

I was having trouble with my car not charging its components, and discovered my alternator was in poor condition. So I wanted learn how to replace it myself. Can you tell me how to take off an old alternator and put on a new one? Thank you.

Hi there, thanks for your question. These procedures are vehicle specific as they are not all assembled the exact same way. Basically, you want to disconnect the battery before doing anything else. To do this, loosen the belt tension and remove the belt from the alternator pulley. Access and remove any connectors or cables fastened to the alternator first if possible. Then, remove the fasteners holding the alternator in the vehicle and remove the alternator. Reverse the process to install the new alternator. Make sure the battery is fully charged before starting the vehicle. On some vehicles, the process is may be more complicated than this. If you would like help replacing your alternator, one of our certified technicians from YourMechanic can come to your home or office and do it for you.