Q: How do you use the blind spot mirrors?

How do you use the blind spot mirrors?

Your car may have blind spot mirrors rather than standard side view mirrors (they’re optional equipment). If it’s so equipped, you have an important advantage when attempting to see vehicles to the side and behind, such as when you’re changing lanes on the highway. They include both a normal side view mirror, and a convex spotter mirror at the outer top corner. Here’s how to use them correctly:

• Check the main mirror first when changing lanes.
  • Check the blind spot mirror next to see if there’s a car in your blind spot.
  • Look over your shoulder before changing lanes.

Tip

As vehicles approach from behind and beside you, they’ll show up first in the main mirror. They’ll slowly transition from the main mirror to the blind spot mirror (the car will partially show in both). When it’s completely in your blind spot, it will only show in the blind spot mirror.