Q: My car won't go into reverse it's like another nuetral gear. I don't know what to do

My car will be on the reverse gear but won't back up. I don't want to buy a new transmission I just need some solutions I could do.

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. Check your brakes to ensure that they are in top shape and adjusted correctly. Check the parking brake to ensure that it is completely disengaging. If you have a column shifter, place the shifter between park and reverse and reverse and neutral and see if the vehicle will back up. If it does then the shifter is out of adjustment. Check the shifter cable or linkage to see if it is out of adjustment. If the shifter does not engage the transmission, then the reverse clutch in the transmission or the seal on the input shaft for the reverse clutch has failed and the transmission needs repaired. If you need assistance with the reverse gear, then seek out a professional, preferably a Your Mechanic professional to help you with your vehicle.

• My car won't go into reverse it's like another nuetral gear. I don't know what to do