Q: Is there anyway to bypass the ac compressor they make bypass pulleys but can't find any for an 88 Grand Prix

asked by on March 11, 2017

I believe the ac compressor locked up been making a lower pitch humming/whining sound for about a week and belt is slipping now it's not starting alt battery and starter are good

AC Compressor Replacement $672.08 - $2753.22 Get a Quote

As long as the a/c clutch bearing is not seized, it doesn’t matter if the a/c compressor is locked up. As long as you do not turn the a/c on, this causing the clutch to engage and attempt to run the compressor, the serpentine belt will just freewheel on the a/c front pulley, again just so long as the bearing that the pulley rides on is in good condition. If the bearing is bad and needs to be replaced, it will be much cheaper to just replace the bearing than it will be to configure a work-around with another pulley or a shorter drive belt. If you need assistance replacing the a/c clutch pulley bearing, or getting this set up so that it runs, please request a/c clutch compressor - front pulley bearing replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.