Q: Is replacing a steering gearbox hard work..my mechanic charging me 160 in labor

My gearbox broke steering wheel will turn but tires wouldn't turn left or right..so got my gearbox replaced but I wanted to know is replacing it hard work the mechanic charging me 160 in just labor

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Removing and replacing the steering gearbox/rack is a fairly involved job and can be a bit expensive depending on the dealer. As you may know, the power steering system uses a pump, normally driven by a belt. The pump supplies pressure as it is turned by your engine, and driver control is supplied by either the rack and pinion or a steering gear box. Fluid pressure from the pump is used to push against a piston. When the wheel is turned, pressure flows to one side and this piston moves. The piston is attached to the steering gears. As the hydraulic pressure does the work, the driver controls the direction by turning the steering wheel. The operation of this is accomplished with a very sensitive valve system called a rack and pinion. When the pump is beginning to fail or is low on fluid, you may hear this type of whining sound. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your power steering system.

3. Is replacing a steering gearbox hard work..my mechanic charging me 160 in labor