Q: Is it safe to drive car with a problem with struts?

Just bought the car 3 weeks ago. Yesterday heard rattling noise from front end and took to a mechanic. He says struts are the problem. I took back to the dealer I purchased from. Their mechanic says the struts need to be replaced but they blame me for driving in DC and will charge me $300 to fix. Because that is not covered under the warranty. My question is it safe to drive 5 more days until I can leave for repair by my affordable mechanic?

In all probability, the car is safe to drive but technically the answer depends on exactly what is rattling. Ordinarily, if there are rattling noises or noises from struts you can drive the car for a while while awaiting repair but if the noise has arisen because the strut mount is not secured to the top of the spring tower or the lower strut mount bolts to the steering knuckle are loose, that could be a problem. Those are unusual (uncommon) circumstances though and that’s why I say in all probability you are OK driving the car. If you desire that the struts be inspected, and replaced if necessary, by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request strut inspection/replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.