Q: Tail light on after the car is off, brake lights won't work

My tail lights stay on when I turn them off, when the car is off. Also my brake lights stopped working at the same time. What could it be? '92 Toyota Corolla.

A: Tail lights stay on when the car is off and...

Tail lights stay on when the car is off and your brake lights don’t work at all. If lights are staying on when you turn the car off, the ignition switch turns power off to that spot. Maybe your ignition switch has gone bad and it’s leading power to them and not giving power to the brake line.

That would be my first guess - the ignition switch. Because if it’s not that, it would have to be something like the bad relay or the lights that the relay is sticking on. In that case, you could go to the relay center where the fuses are and pull out light relay. And if it goes off, you might just need a new relay. But normally, it is something like a bad ignition switch doing that. A technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can inspect your tail lights at your home or office to determine the cause of the issue and make the needed repairs.