Q: Car alarm goes off all on its own, can’t start car

I have not had very many problems with my 2008 Toyota Highlander so far (and I am at 101,000 miles!) but the main problem I am having now is very...noticeable. The alarm will go off randomly and lock the whole thing down. I love the high security, but when I can’t even use my own car it has gone a bit far. This was funny like once, now it needs to stop. What way can I fix this that won’t lead to more electric gremlins down the road?

A: This is a common issue for this generation ...

This is a common issue for this generation of Highlander. The contacts in the hood latch for the alarm system wear out or otherwise get damaged through use. If the alarm computer is not sensing proper voltage through the switch, the alarm will activate. A local mechanic (like those with YourMechanic) can inspect, diagnose, and replace the faulty hood latch.