Q: if you hit wrong code reader button can it mess up the system?

i used a code reader provided by an auto parts place without instruction and i think i hit a wrong default button and next day now my battery is dead...i would like to know it removing the positive battery cable will reset the system or do i need to have somone use a code reader again to reset it...i am sure that the code reader somehow did this

Hi there. I’m pretty sure a basic code reader from the parts store did not cause your battery to drain overnight. All the reader does is retrieve codes from the computers in the vehicle. Was the key left in the "ON" position to read the codes and left in that position overnight? Was the door not completely closed overnight? When was the last time the battery had a proper test with a digital battery tester? What is the output of the alternator? Is a parasitic load present? The older and more mileage present, the more unreliable vehicle systems become. I suggest having battery test performed with a digital battery tester that provides current voltage, cold cranking amps, and state of health. I also suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection for the check engine light and the battery concern to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a check engine light is on inspection and a battery is dead inspection.

3. if you hit wrong code reader button can it mess up the system?