I went to AAmco because my engine light was on! They did ...

Q: I went to AAmco because my engine light was on! They did a diagnostic and came up with 2 codes. intake runner position sensor cir

asked by on February 07, 2017

Do you think replacing the manifold intake assembly will resolve my problem. Aamco replaced the intake runner control but the engine light still remained on.. Aamco said I needed to replace computer brain so I took it to Meineke to get an 2nd opinion, they did a diagnostic test and said it needed the whole intake manifold assembly!!

Diagnostic Trouble Codes, such as the two codes that were retrieved at the first shop, cannot be used to "directly" condemn parts. Rather, these Codes are merely clues that are used to inform an actual diagnostic. But, short of an actual diagnostic, nothing can be intelligently concluded about which part or component has failed. In the case of the Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) system, there are quite a few components that have to be directly tested, and ruled in or out, before any repair decision is made. PCM’s rarely fail (computer brain you are referring to) by the way. As far as the second shop, you should request tangible evidence of a faulty part, that is actual documentation and a credible explanation, prior to letting them do anything. Just to give you an idea of the number of possible causes of the check engine light coming on, if there is an IMRC fault, here is just a partial list of possible underlying causes, all of which have to be looked at: IMRC solenoid that is defective, IMRC solenoid wiring that has shorts, breaks, or is frayed, IMRC solenoid circuitry that has shorted or is open, IMRC solenoid connector that is corroded, IMRC butterfly valve plate screws that are loose or broken, IMRC butterfly valve plates that are broken, IMRC butterfly valves plates that have disconnected from the IMRC actuator, Vacuum control solenoid vacuum filter that is clogged, Debris in the vacuum control solenoid, Vacuum lines that are disconnected or broken, Carbon buildup on the IMRC butterfly valve plates, Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve trouble codes that have been stored by the PCM, MAF sensor trouble codes that have been stored by the PCM, and BARO sensor trouble codes that have been stored by the PCM.

If you want an authoritative diagnostic, and an explanation of exactly what has failed and caused the check engine light to remain on in your car, please request an IMRC system diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this problem resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.