Q: Crank but want start. Key stays in start position and continues to try and start. What could this be?

asked by on December 19, 2017

Car stalled out. Tried to start it right back up, but it continued to try and crank, but not start. Had full power trying to start, but when putting key in the start position you could feel the key stick a bit and it would continually try and start itself but no spark to turn over. Checked main fuses under hood all were good. Main concern is what could make the key stick and continously to try and start with out me holding the key in place, but will not turn over. It tried to turn over once, but sputtered out

It sounds like you may have two different problems. The first is key sticks in start position can be a defective ignition switch internal spring or the key lock linkage is binding. You may need to remove electrical ignition switch and check to male sure key moves freely and if so then replace switch and then see if it starts now? If it still does not start then have computer checked to see if you have stored codes for a failed sensor or fuel pump may not be pumping. This may need additional tests done after fixing the ignition system for sticking in start position.