Q: 2000 Jeep Cherokee overheated and won't start

asked by on June 22, 2017

Was driving my Jeep on the highway @~75mph, engine overheated and smoke began pouring from the hood. Pulled over to the side of the road to let the engine cool down and something in the front of the car popped and liquid was all over beneath the jeep and inside the hood. After the jeep cooled down it started back up fine, just with a weird odor. Moved the jeep off the highway at the next exit as the engine began clicking and called a tow truck. Now the jeeps engine will crank but will not start. Possible problems, solutions, and estimated cost for repair?

Hi there. If the vehicle overheated, and you noticed a lot of coolant on the ground, it’s quite possible that either the radiator broke, a coolant hose broke or the radiator cap was damaged. When this happens, a lot of coolant spills on your hot motor (which is the odor you are smelling). This can also cause damage to critical electrical parts that help the engine start and run. It’s probably a good idea to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to start inspection, so they can determine what is damaged and needs to be repaired to resolve your problems. Without knowing what is damaged, it’s hard to provide an estimate for repairs.