Q: Automatic position in dualogic doesn't work properly

asked by on June 27, 2016

My car is dualogic and I have chosen to drive it as full automatic. (It is also POP.) If driving around 30 mph and I brake with medium-harsh pressure (for a long time) it goes into neutral. The brake still does work, but the accelerator does not work and I can not use it any more. This causes me to have to come to a hault, anywhere I am. Also, when I need to change between neutral, auto, etc., I have to apply the brake pedal. After going into neutral, it refuses to go back into automatic/drive. So annoying! Usually I have to turn the engine a few times before it will work. Do you think this is a safety feature or something else and what can I do to solve this problem?

Hello! I’ll be happy to help. A common component on your particular vehicle that fails is the gearbox communication unit. When they fail it will cause the transmission to shift into neutral without command. Fiat is assessing this problem and enough people have reported it that a recall should be on the way. Replacing the gearbox communication unit should fix your problem but I recommend having a technician test out the unit first before purchasing any new parts.

If you’d like to have a second opinion on this, feel free to contact a certified mechanic who can diagnose the issue with your gears and confirm my suspicions.