Q: How much does it cost to teplace fuel injector in 2003 ford ranger, is it something i could do myself

Check engine light came on went to auto parts store tests indicated number 6 fuel injector malfunctioning need to replace it don't know if I can do it myself or need to have someone else do it

Hi...the Trouble Code that sets if a fuel injector malfunctions does not provide a diagnostic identifying the cause of the injector failure. Consequently, the injector itself has to be directly tested. You could, for example, have a situation where the wiring to the injector has a fault causing misoperation and the injector itself is OK. Also of importance in your circumstance, if you do have to replace one injector, you could end up with an imbalance in fuel delivery because the other 5 injectors could have varying degrees of blockage that has built up over the years. Unless the car were brand new, if one injector has failed, the optimal practice is to remove all fuel injectors from the fuel rail and send them to a lab such as Mr. Injector for ultrasonic cleaning on a machine. During such service, the filter baskets in each injector are removed and new filters are installed, and then each injector’s output and spray pattern is measured and documented. If a problem with balance (excessive variance in injector output) is detected during this service you are informed and then the necessary steps van be taken. If the information that you received about the No. 6 injector simply came from a "Code Scanner", please note that such is not a diagnostic that a professional mechanic would "give" or act upon. The injector has to be tested and these other considerations I just noted then come into play as well. If you desire that a certified mechanic provide a diagnostic and recommend a repair strategy, please request a fuel injector inspection/diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. How much does it cost to teplace fuel injector in 2003 ford ranger, is it something i could do myself