Q: Car turned itself off, now Check Engine Light is on

I was driving today, and I came to a stop sign. When I tried to accelerate, the car stopped running. It's like when a manual transmission stalls out, but without the jerking motion. I had to put the car in park, turn it off, then start it up again.

The Oil, Battery, and Check Engine Lights all came on when this happened. After I got the car started again, they all went off except the Check Engine Light. What could this be?

A: I'm guessing the Battery and Oil Lights...

I'm guessing the Battery and Oil Lights came on because the ignition was in the run position but the engine died. This is normal. What caused the vehicle to stall is another question.

A vehicle that stalls and then restarts typically indicates a lack of fuel and/or spark. There are numerous reasons for this.

The first step to narrowing things down, is to retrieve the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) associated with the Check Engine Light. This information will serve as a starting point for further diagnostics.

I suggest you have a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your Check Engine Light firsthand, and recommend the best path to repair.