Q: What could cause a clicking noise under the valve cover of my 1982 Mercury Grand Marquis

asked by on April 14, 2017

my cars ticking in the passenger side valve cover and under the car i dont think it is rod knock cause it hasn't got worse but its pretty loud once the cars warmed up can i do anything to fix it or make it better i tryed oil additives plz help thx

Engine is running louder than normal Inspection $94.99 - $114.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Most of the time this is caused by a failure in one or more of the lifters in the engine. These are hydraulic and when they fail there ends up being too much clearance in the valve train which causes this noise. It can also be a serious exhaust leak but that will usually come from further down near the exhaust manifold. If you need to have this noise located, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose where the noise is coming from] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/engine-is-running-louder-than-normal-inspection

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr