Q: Steering wheel problem, hard to turn after stop.

asked by on August 13, 2016

As long as I am driving my automobile straight its fine, BUT when I hit the breaks to stop and turn it started acting like a manual alto, very hard to turn we drove it 700 miles to TN, and about one hour out that's when the problem started, I let it stay park for a day now its works find. Do you think i need power steering flood, or a flesh? Have to travel back home and don't have that much money for repairs.

Hi there,

With 77,000 miles on your 2011 Buick Enclave, I wouldn’t expect your issue to be mechanic in nature. In many cases, the problem’s you’re describing are caused by low power steering fluid, or if your power steering is powered by a serpentine belt, it could be time to replace the belt. The first thing I’d do is check your power steering fluid. If it is low, check your vehicle’s owner manual and buy the recommended power steering fluid for your Buick and make sure to top off the reservoir. Start your engine, let the vehicle run for about 5 minutes, then shut it off and check it again.

If that clears up your problem, fantastic! However, if the problem persists, you may want to contact a local expert, such as one from YourMechanic, who can come to your home or office to diagnose the steering issue and make the appropriate repairs.