Q: Car stalls after starting

asked by on May 12, 2016

I'm having problems starting my car. When I first start it for the day, it runs fine. But if I leave it parked somewhere for two hours after that, sometimes it stalls. If it does, the rpms are so low that i just died, and it sounds like it's choking if I try to start it up again right away. I have to apply gas to keep it from dying. I sometimes think it sounds like something is rubbing on the fan. My code reader isn't picking up any codes from it. What could be causing this?

The symptoms you have described have quite a few different causes. Common causes of this could be the MAF sensor, torque converter locked up, fuel pump failing, ignition switch, or fuel injector failure. Not all of these will trigger the Check Engine Light right away, which could be why you are not seeing any codes. If you need further assistance, a qualified technician, like one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your stalling issue and perform any repairs that are needed.