I was told my rpm were going up & down because of a broke...

Q: I was told my rpm were going up & down because of a broken motor mount. Can that really cause it to do that?

asked by on November 13, 2017

My rpm were going up and down. I was told it was because of a broken motor mount. I'm just curious if that can really cause it to go up and down.
My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hi Desirae. Thanks for contacting us tonight. Although an engine mount can cause a lot of negative symptoms, such as vibration and shaking, it’s less likely that a broken engine mount is the only thing causing higher idle. However, if there is a vacuum leak or minor problem with the throttle body, a damaged motor mount can accelerate the symptoms. I would ask the mechanic that gave you this diagnosis to explain their justification and why it’s causing the engine RPM issue before having it completed.