Q: Engine shutoff issue. 2001 Ford Explorer

Engine oil pressure gauge dropped to below zero a day before the engine shutoff. I didn’t drive it until a day later; that’s when the engine shutoff while driving. The pressure gauge was still on zero when it happened.

Engine wouldn’t turn back on, just a whirring sound.

Later, the starter made a whirring sound, then rapid clicking sound.

Electronics work, then soon the power fades away.

Battery provides continuous power when charged from a portable charger, but engine makes no attempt to turn over; just a clicking noise. (WIth that being said, the 750 peak amp charger has acted bad from time to time in the past.)

Hitting/pressing the Inirtia Switch (fuel system reset in the front passenger side) did nothing.

Hello - your description suggests that there may be multiple issues here: weak or bad battery, and engine failure of some sort (oil level checked?). I would recommend an engine inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.