Q: Engine shutoff issue. 2001 Ford Explorer

Engine oil pressure gauge dropped to below zero a day before the engine shutoff. I didn’t drive it until a day later; that’s when the engine shutoff while driving. The pressure gauge was still on zero when it happened.

Engine wouldn’t turn back on, just a whirring sound.

Later, the starter made a whirring sound, then rapid clicking sound.

Electronics work, then soon the power fades away.

Battery provides continuous power when charged from a portable charger, but engine makes no attempt to turn over; just a clicking noise. (WIth that being said, the 750 peak amp charger has acted bad from time to time in the past.)

Hitting/pressing the Inirtia Switch (fuel system reset in the front passenger side) did nothing.

Hello - your description suggests that there may be multiple issues here: weak or bad battery, and engine failure of some sort (oil level checked?). I would recommend an engine inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Engine shutoff issue. 2001 Ford Explorer