Q: Have code P0174, did smoke test smoke comes out EGR valve. Does that mean it's bad? 2004 Ford Ranger

asked by on March 09, 2017

I have code 174 did smoke test smoke comes out of top of EGR valve when cold engine does this mean it's bad

Hi there - smoke coming out of the EGR valve simply means the valve is either leaking, or stuck in the "open" position. The P0174 code indicates a "lean" condition too much air/not enough fuel on the bank of cylinders that does not contain cylinder 1 (Bank 2). A leaking or open EGR valve could cause this problem, as would any other air leak into the intake system. For further diagnosis, I recommend a rough idle inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.