Q: I'm looking to buy a 1986 Ford Bronco II for $500. The transmission's shot, is it worth it?

I'm looking at a 1986 Ford Bronco II listed for $500. I don't know if buying it and then replacing the transmission would be worth the money, given I can find a Bronco II in similar condition for roughly $3000. Is it worth getting the $500 Bronco and replacing or repairing its transmission? The post says the "Transmission is shot".

Before I would make the purchase of the vehicle I would recommend first locating a replacement transmission for the vehicle. Then you will know how much the part will cost and then just need to get pricing on replacement clutch assembly and the labor to do all the work. You may find it very hard to locate a replacement manual transmission and even harder to find repair parts for the insides of the transmission. You are talking about a vehicle that is 30 years old.

3. I'm looking to buy a 1986 Ford Bronco II for $500. The transmission's shot, is it worth it?