Q: When accelerating the car begins to jerk real bad.

I start the car, put it in drive, and begin to accelerate. When I am accelerating in 1st gear the car starts to jerk noticeably, It also jerks around 35 to 45 miles per hour. Recently, I would accelerate in first, but something happens, and it feels like I lose my first two gears and am driving in third gear. The check engine light blinks both times this has happened. It seemed to happen after the car has warmed up for awhile, and was driving a little longer of a distance. I have since parked it until i figure out the problem. Thank you.

A: Usually when the Check Engine Light flashes...

Usually when the Check Engine Light flashes, it is an indication that you have a severe misfire that may cause damage to the catalytic converter. Most of the time this is due to failing ignition components. That is why it feels jerky. A certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, will be able diagnose your rough driving symptoms and determine the exact cause of your concern.