Q: concern over serpentine belt

I looked at my serpentine belt under the hood of my car and seen its leaving some type of black smudge or something melted, something on what I think is a pulley..it's visible for us to see. It's also leaving a smell, that may be our oil, not sure but our belt looked kind of thin. Should we change it soon, my father is a mechanic but he's not even sure what to do, just told us to buy another belt to be safe. He has a car just like us and his isn't doing it. Need some answers please! Really don't need our car breaking down its our only transportation

Hello, the belt should be clean and dry when inspecting it. What could be happening is some type of fluid is leaking on the belt creating the film and smell. The fluids could be anti-freeze, engine oil or power steering fluid any one would degrade the belt. Before the belt gets replace the leak would have to be repaired. If you’d like, a certified Your Mechanic Technician can come to your location to look at this issue. Please look at this web site for more information and service options. belt inspection

3. concern over serpentine belt