Q: Why after changing the power steering pressure sensor I still get the check engine light stating sensor failure?

asked by on July 17, 2016

The check engine light came on with a power steering pressure sensor failure on my 2000 Dodge Neon. I changed the sensor but the indicator comes back on after a few miles of driving. What to check next?

When you scanned the computer and got a code for the power steering pressure switch, it did not necessarily mean to simply replace the sensor to fix the code. The code you got directs you to a pinpoint test that is designed to check the power steering pressure switch circuit and system. It will narrow down the problem for you to a possible break in the wiring or connections. Also, there could be a problem with the power steering pressure, computer, or sensor. These are all possible problems for the same code which is why it needs to be diagnosed and tested to pinpoint the problem. If you need help, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can help perform these checks and properly diagnose the source of your Check Engine Light.