Q: I just got an oil change, but smoke is coming from under the hood of my car where my coolant tank is? Do I need more coolant?

asked by on April 29, 2016

I just got an oil change, but smoke is coming from under the hood of my car where my coolant tank is? Do I need more coolant?

Smoke from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello.

If the smoke is coming from the coolant tank then it may actually just be steam from the hot coolant, which is normal as long as the engine is not overheating. I would double check the coolant level though, just to make sure it’s correct. If the smoke is not coming from the inside of the bottle, but instead from around it, then oil may have been spilled on the exhaust during the oil change. The smoke would be from the oil burning off the exhaust. The exact location of the smoke needs to be determined first. If you need to have a mechanic look at it, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your smoke issue.