Q: My spider gears in the rear end keep busting. Chunk isn't harmed. What is the problem?

My spider gears in the rear end keep busting. I've replaced them twice, and both times they've only lasted a month. Chunk isn't harmed. Why do they keep busting?

Hello there, thanks for writing in. The spider gears are only used when you are turning left or right, unless you have two differently-sized tires on the same axle, in which then the spider gears will turn all the time.

If you have a limited slip rear end, then your clutches will eventually be worn out and may need repairing or replacing. Also, when your spider gears are not moving, they are applying power straight ahead, and if you overload the rear end by exceeding tow capacity, you may damage the spider gears.

3. My spider gears in the rear end keep busting. Chunk isn't harmed. What is the problem?