Q: Car shuts off at speeds over 60 mph

I have a problem with my vehicle shutting off, especially when the temperatures are high and when I drive at speeds over 60 mph. I had the coolant checked and it is at an appropriate level. Temperature gauge shows normal operating temperature. When this happens, I have to try starting it back up for about 15 minutes and then it would eventually start running again.What is causing this?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2001 Oldsmobile Bravada. You are losing ignition spark or fuel pressure to the ignition. The vehicle and year is known to have failures in both systems and the only way to diagnose the problem is to test for ignition spark and fuel pressure to the injection system. You can scan the computer to see if you have codes to the crankshaft sensor or the camshaft sensors. The problem is heat related since the failure happens after the engine gets warm. This can be the fuel pump, crankshaft or camshaft sensor, ignition module, or coil issue. Have a certified technician diagnose the stalling issue and verify what repairs are needed.