Q: I'm getting a burning plastic like smell after a 45 minute drive but all gauges read normal and fluids look good.

asked by on February 04, 2017

I cannot see anything under the van, nothing is leaking, everything looks normal.... but this smell (which is outside the cab - can't smell it inside) is bizarre. Not seeing any smoke from tailpipe either. Brakes feel kinda spongy but i don't think it could be brake fluid. I'm not Mr. Goodwrench but i do know this is weird.

Check the brakes out on the front of the van. It is possible that the pads are not releasing properly and burning the brake pads causing the plastic burning smell. The brake system could be sticking and not retracting causing your brake pedal to be spongy.

If you need further assistance with your smells in the cab, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.