Q: New radiator, which was installed incorrectly and overheated my car. Now my alternator is going out could this be related?

asked by on August 01, 2017

I recently replaced my radiator, which was installed incorrectly and caused the engine to overheat. That has been resolved but the alternator is causing the engine to shake, which started when the car overheated. Could the radiator issue be at fault for the alternator going bad??

Overheating can damage many engine components such as the thermostat, crankshaft position sensor, and so forth. Overheating does damage alternators but the overheating in alternators is typically caused by electrical overloads, that is too much current flowing through the alternator. However, if external heat applied to the alternator is high enough that will have the same damaging effect. Unfortunately, to determine the exact failure mode of your alternator, that would require a forensic (laboratory) investigation and such is not economical. To have the alternator inspected and replaced, including the charging circuit, please use YourMechanic’s alternator inspection/replacement service page and the responding certified mechanic from YourMechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.