Q: Is It Safe to Drive My Car if the Power Windows Don’t Work?

Is it safe to drive my car if the power windows don’t work?

A: Power windows are a luxury item on most dom...

Power windows are a luxury item on most domestic and foreign cars, trucks, and SUVs sold in the United States these days. They don’t necessarily impact the drivability or operation of the vehicle, but if they are damaged, it can impact the driver’s ability to safely control the vehicle during certain situations. It can also negatively impact your ability to exit the vehicle if certain accidents occur.

When power windows don’t open or close when the driver presses the button, it’s typically caused by damage to the window switch or the power window motor. If the window is stuck in the "open" position, the driver will be exposed to the elements outside. On a normal, sunny day, this shouldn’t negatively impact the driver’s ability to operate the vehicle. However, if the weather is bad, such as rain, hail, snow – it will cause the driver to be distracted or uncomfortable; which can lead to vehicle accidents or physical harm to the driver.

If the window is in the "closed" position, the driver is safe from being exposed to the elements outside. However, in the case of an accident, where the driver and passenger side doors are damaged and can’t be opened, the driver may have the ability to roll the power windows down and exit the vehicle. If the power windows don’t work, this is not an option and the driver may be trapped inside the vehicle.

The answer to this question is not as easy as saying, "yes" or "no", as there are multiple situations where a power window can help a driver or hinder a driver’s ability to operate their vehicle. If your power window is damaged, it’s best to contact a local ASE certified mechanic to inspect the power window failure and make appropriate repairs as soon as possible.