Q: Bought a car with 3 month warranty thank god. Day after Check Engine light came on. Brought it back to dealer. 2007 VW Jetta

asked by on February 16, 2017

Vw jetta 07 having problems accelerating major loss of power seemingly random but mostly after coming to a complete stop. Rpms jump up but nothing happens. Aldo sometimes misfires. Will accelerate to maybe 10mph again rpms jump up but it won't go for seconds to minute it's like there's no response from gas peddle during that time then slowly goes occasionally jumps into acceleration. Seems to idle differently when this is happening. Day I bought into check engine light came on so brought I back to dealer. He said code was catilytic converter so he kept my car Dealer replaced catilytic converter 2 days after I purchased it. It's now been 5 days since replaced no lights coming on but obviously theres an issue. Any ideas?

Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - yes, smart and fortunate of you to get a warranty! And in this case, it appears the dealer has "done the right thing" and repaired the issue. It does not necessarily mean there is an on-going problem - the failure (most likely clogging) of the catalytic converter could have been building up over months and years - stop-and-go, short trip driving for example. As long as the car is in proper tune now, with no leaking injectors, excessive oil consumption, etc. the new converter should last a long time. If the engine does not run smoothly, with something close to rated fuel economy, have the engine checked out. I recommend an engine inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.