Q: DTC codes P0000, P0001, P0010,and P0020.. Ca. smog coming this month. Not the simplest of repairs if the problems are as Ive seen

asked by on May 27, 2017

Hi , My name is Eric. I have the Hypertech power programmer that fed me these DTC codes. Yes my check engine light is on . The truck idles low but not yet stalled . Terrible gas mileage and smell of strong exhaust and some loss of power . I have smog inspection coming this month . I am usually a diy er but not sure I want to mess with this . Personally I would rather throw a supercharged motor in instead and say forget these DTC codes . But have not done enough homework to make that decision yet . I have learned what these codes supposedly are .I cant help but wonder if this is not the beginning of the end of this motor? I will most likely get a quote from you guys but I really don't know what to do ? Maybe I should take it in and let it fail first, but that doesn't fix these potential serious codes . Should I trust the Hypertech ? It seems to be pretty legit? What choices do I even have in California ? Its gotta pass smog so what do I need to do ? Is a supercharged motor realistic?

Hi there. First and foremost, I wouldn’t trust the aftermarket power programmer to provide you with accurate OBD-II trouble codes. Those are stored in the ECU of your Chevrolet truck and should be downloaded by a professional digital scanner. The P0001 Trouble code is the OBD-II generic code describing an issue with the circuit which runs from your engine computer (ECM) to your fuel pressure regulator on your fuel injection rail on your engine. Since you live in California, you’re going to have issues passing the smog test unless these issues are resolved. I also wouldn’t recommend taking your vehicle in to fail a smog test, as you’re likely not going to get the right data from that test to resolve your issues. In many cases, these aftermarket power programmers are the source of failed tests. It’s probably a good idea to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and download those stored error codes and provide you with additional data to let you know what would need to be fixed to pass smog.