Q: When pumping gas into my car it will sometimes only let me put in a few cents in at a time is this due to fuel pressure in the gas

asked by on June 21, 2017

When pumping gas into my car it will sometimes only let me put in a few cents in at a time is this due to fuel pressure in the gas tank? Could the breather/vent tube be clogged causing this problem?

Hi there. In most cases, this problem is caused by a control valve issue with the gas pump itself. However, occasionally it can be a problem with the vent system, or the breather tube having some damage. This also tends to happen more frequently in the summer when it is very hot outside. It is also possible that the EVAP system or purge solenoid is faulty, but this problem would cause the vehicle to stumble or have difficulty starting occasionally. If this problem gets worse, or happens at all fuel stations, then you should have a professional mechanic complete a fuel tank inspection to determine the source of this issue.