Q: I hear a weird rattling sound when I let off the accelerator.

When I shift my truck into drive or reverse, it shifts really hard. I can manually shift into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear, and it will shift fine. But when I shift into reverse or drive it clicks in really hard. When I'm driving, the gears shift fine. However, when I let out of the accelerator, I hear (what sounds like) a metal on metal rattling sound coming from the back or middle of the truck. I only hear it when coasting, and the sound immediately disappears after I press on the gas again. When I accelerate after coasting, it clicks back into gear hard like it does into drive and reverse. My tranny was just rebuilt less than a year ago due to the reverse going out. Thanks for any help.

I hate to say it but it sounds like the issue is the transmission. There are a few things you could check before you go back to the rebuild shop. Check the driveshaft and U-joints. And check the engine and transmission mounts. The fact is there are 1000 moving parts, hundreds of hydraulic passageways, and very tight specifications in a modern automatic transmission. A very minor failure can cause very serious issues. If the shop that rebuilt it has a warranty, I wouldn’t hesitate to take it back and see what they think. If you would like a second opinion, consider having a certified technician from YourMechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your car’s location to diagnose the rattling noise.