Q: Check Engine Light is on and OnStar says it is code P0008

asked by on October 29, 2016

I just got back from a business trip last night. Tonight when I got in my car, my check engine light was on. OnStar says it is an "engine and transmission" issue with an error code 0008. After doing research online, I saw that it could be a timing chain issue, but I'm not sure since everything is closed for the weekend. I have another business trip tomorrow and need to know if it is safe to drive the car on this code.

Also, there is a SCA #11340C "recall" for 2007-2009 Cadillac CTS timing belts, but I've been told by Cadillac that my car does not have any special recalls on the VIN.

Update: I checked the oil this morning and had to add 2 quarts. The light was still on after doing this so I disconnected the battery cable and this did not change the check engine light. OnStar said the code was P0008 and that it was an ignition problem that I should take care of at my convenience.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hey there. This code is "generally" related to the timing chain and related components. This is usually due to engine mechanical problems, stretched timing chain or a failed camshaft actuator or actuator solenoid.

The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the position of both camshafts and the crankshaft. The ECM performs a test for misalignment between both camshafts on one bank of the engine and the crankshaft and calculates the position of both. The ECM compares the position of both the camshafts and the crankshaft with the learned value. The ECM will set the P0008 code if both learned values for one bank of the engine are exceeding a calibrated threshold in the same direction. It would be advised to have the car checked before taking it out on the road. A certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the code in person and assist with repairs.