Q: I have an overheating problem. Its not the fans! With the radiator cap off I can't really see the fluid flowing until I hit the gas.

I have replaced the clutch fan with electric fans . sometimes it doesn't get over the N. (NORMAL). I've started the car with the rad cap off and it didn't blow water out. So it's not the head gasket. I'm trying to figure out whether it's the water pump. The T stat... Or the Radiator. And I dont loose water until it seems like it's backing up and overfilling and flowing out of the over flow jug. Boiling water. That's when it over heats. Any ideas. Thanks I advance.

A: Hi there - lets look at the behavior overal...

Hi there - lets look at the behavior overall. Did you replace the clutch fan with electric fans because of an overheating issue? If so, that fundamental issue is likely still present. If temp rises quickly to overheat (matter of a few minutes, even at idle), thermostat is stuck shut, or - there is an air pocket in the cooling system (if the system wasn't bled properly after work where the coolant was drained) - that will cause fairly violent "boiling" inside the engine, and blow water/steam out of the overflow jug.

A blown headgasket can just "superheat" the coolant over 5-15 minutes without "blowing" water out under pressure if the leak is small enough. You can chemically test the coolant for the presence of combustion gases. If you make the fans run all the time does it still overheat? Does it only overheat very slowly over time? If so, it may just be a clogged radiator (inside or out).

I would recommend having your car's overheating issue inspected by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.