Q: Check Engine light is on, replaced camshaft position sensor twice, light still on 2010 Dodge Ram 1500

asked by on February 24, 2017

Check engine light is on and my truck doesn't run right won't take gas and big lose of power ...ran diagnostics came back camshaft position sensor..replaced it light when off drove fine then came back on ..replaced again and came back on ...took it to the dodge dealer and they can't figure it out and it's not a short in wires ..what could cause this problem? Variable valve timing selanoid?

Hello - I don’t wish to insult anyone, but there are 2 camshaft position sensors on that engine. Any chance the same sensor was replaced twice? That would certain cause the scenario you describe. If both sensors have now been replaced, I would check wiring and connectors carefully, and also consider checking the crankshaft position sensor. As you mention, there could also be an issue with the cam position gear misbehaving. I recommend a rough running inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.