Q: Car makes a long thumping noise and skids once the brake is applied

asked by on November 28, 2016

I had recently changed the brake pads on my 2012 Toyota Highlander Limited but each time I applied the brake my vehicle makes a long thumping noise as if the brake is not holding and skids. The car is not showing any check engine or ABS light on the dashboard. What could be the problem?

Brake safety Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello. Does the noise and slipping seem like it is coming from all wheels? It is likely that the brake pads have been installed improperly on all or some of the wheels. The pads can be in crooked, or faulty. They may not being supported correctly, and can’t control the vehicle like they should. Raise the vehicle off of the ground, and remove the tires. Inspect the brake pads and calipers. If you do not know what they are supposed to look like, you will want pictures or some form of diagram to compare your vehicle to. Otherwise have the vehicle inspected by a technician. The recent repair is very likely the cause of the issue, and you need to have another look at those new brake pads.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr