Q: The car accelerates with delay

Hi. My car has around 115,000 miles on it. When I try to accelerate, it takes a longer time than usual to increase the speed. It would happen at lower speeds. If I drive at 30 mph and give it gas, there is no acceleration until I apply the gas pedal to the ground and keep my foot on it for a longer period. I took the car to the dealer and they said everything is okay after hooking a scanner to it. What could cause this? Thanks.

Hi there. This can be caused by a number of things. Since the dealership installed a scan tool and didn’t see any codes then it must not be a sensor failure. I typically start by checking the back pressure of the exhaust to see if the catalytic converter is failing. If it is fine then I check the fuel pressure as a weak fuel pump will cause this. If that is also fine it may have a dirty mass air flow sensor. These are all the most common causes of this. If you want to have this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to check it out.