Q: Why Are My Wiper Blades Different Lengths?

asked by on November 23, 2015

Why are my wiper blades different lengths?

Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement $94.47 - $241.95 Get a Quote

Wiper blades come in different lengths so that one or more can be combined to provide the maximum clearing of your windshield with every pass or cycle. Some vehicles use a single blade mounted on an articulating arm that pivots and oscillates up and down to make one full sweep or arc across the bulk of the windshield.

Most systems use two blades which can rotate in unison side to side, or opposed from outside to inside crossing over each other as they clear the windshield. Determining which wiper blade is longer is set by the manufacturer with either side being longer by design, or in some cases, the same exact length.

When it comes to rear wipers, they are usually a single unit and are long enough to clear the most window possible without hitting the body of the vehicle. Some vehicles even have wipers for the front headlights.

Since wipers “park”, that is to say they retract to a stationary position at the base of the windshield when not in use, the length is critical as they can get stuck if the are too long or bind up causing possible damage to the blades. If the blades get damaged or contact the body of the vehicle, one of the results can be paint damage, and the damaged blades will then no longer provide proper clearing of the windshield.

If you happen to run into any problems with your wipers, feel free to reach out to a certified mechanic who can replace your wiper blades.