Q: What should I do to protect the three way catalytic converter?

What should I do to protect the three way catalytic converter?

Your car’s catalytic converter (or converters, as the case may be) is a critical component of your exhaust and emissions systems. It’s responsible for burning off harmful gases that lead to environmental damage and smog production. If your converter is damaged, not only will you not pass emissions testing, but you’ll experience reduced fuel economy and other performance problems. Thankfully, there are simple things you can do to protect it. Here’s what you need to know:

• Never use anything but unleaded gasoline. While leaded gasoline is incredibly rare in the US, even a small amount will contaminate the cat.

• Pay attention to maintenance. The better your engine is maintained, the less chance there is of damage to the converter.

• Get professional help when needed. If you’re experiencing performance problems with the engine, have it professionally inspected.

3. What should I do to protect the three way catalytic converter?