Q: I have white/bluish smoke coming out of the exhaust occasionally. I have no power loss and it happens infrequently.

asked by on December 01, 2016

I have white/bluish smoke coming out of the exhaust occasionally. I have no power loss and it happens infrequently. I know this has been diagnosed as a valve seal leak but it is not constant and I don't have any power loss. Can thisbe something else or is it time to get major work on the engine?

I suggest you study the smoke and try to recognize a pattern. It might mean that you have to spend a lot of time looking in the mirror, so try not to be unsafe. If you are having a problem with valve stem seals, you may experience the smoke more when you are letting your foot off of the gas. Decelerating raises the engine vacuum and draws oil past the valve seals and into the intake where it goes on to be burned. Stem seals will also be the diagnosis if you have a big cloud of smoke on starting a car that has been parked several hours or overnight. If you have a problem with piston rings, you will see more smoke when you are accelerating and demanding more power from the engine. Either way it’s going to be a big expense. Many people prefer to put off the repair until the oil starts to foul the spark plugs and the engine begins to skip. If you want to be sure what is going on with your car, contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home or office to check out your car and give you a recommendation.