Q: I have a rubbing noise when i turn the wheel when sitting still but not at speed and i also have a lot of clunk noise over bumps.

This noise just started a couple weeks ago. I have almost a rubbing noise when turning the wheel at a stand still. Also I get horrible rattle noise in my front end components when going over bumps or poor roads. It almost sounds if something may fall off. Ive taken my car to several mechanics over the past 2 years and either no one actually wants to look at it or they cant find anything wrong. My outer tie rod ends... The boots are both ripped (they were both replaced 18 months ago) and i have at least one boot on a sway bar end link that is ripped as well. I had control arms done 18 months ago too. When replacing the control arms and sway bar end links it helped with the noise but never truly went away. This is getting very frustrating and i worry about safety.

Hi William. Thanks for contacting us today. Based on what you’ve indicated, it’s quite possible that there could be multiple front end issues going on with your Saturn. The fact your CV boots are torn could indicate a failure of the CV joints. This tends to make the grinding or rubbing type of noise you are hearing when the car is parked. It’s also possible that strut mounts are damaged or there are problems with ball joints and other components. One of the best programs we have here is that our mobile mechanics can come to your location and complete an onsite inspection, so they can correctly diagnose the issues and recommend the right repairs.

3. I have a rubbing noise when i turn the wheel when sitting still but not at speed and i also have a lot of clunk noise over bumps.