Q: Car rattles slightly when wheel is turned all the way

asked by on December 24, 2016

So the dealer told me because of something with the hydraulics, if i turn the wheel all the way to the end (either side), ill experience brief rattle. For example, when i'm in first gear and trying to do a U-turn, i feel a slight rattle/vibration. Is this normal?

Also, the moon roof seems to be rattling whenever i'm going through a bumpy patch of road. I'm assuming its due to some parts not lining up correctly?

I'm sure if i was to take it into a shop I could get a straight forward answer, or maybe a runaround answer which will cost me extra 30% of what I should really pay for, so I'd like some insights!

Thank you very much in advance.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. When your wheels are turned all the way (also known as "clock to clock") there are rubber stops that will protect the wheels from running into body or frame. When the wheels hit this point, the power steering system is forced to work harder. After time, the pump starts to wear down and has a harder time compensating for these strains. It is normal for this to happen over time, but keep an eye on it and try to avoid the noise if possible.

The moon roof is a fairly simple part. A good visual inspection will go a long way. The best thing you can do is attempt to gently replicate the noise. If you can do that and pinpoint where it is coming from, you are likely to be better prepared to talk to a professional about it. Chances are things are just loose. If nothing is broken, its possible the components can be tightened up and placed back where they need to be. At worst, a component in the roof may need to be replaced. Only an inspection will tell.

For more help with either issue, or for another opinion, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.