Q: New gas struts installed groaning noise like rubber on metal can or should you grease them?

New gas struts installed groaning noise like rubber on metal can or should you grease them?

Hello. There is generally no provision for lubricating strut assemblies. The bearing at the top of the strut assembly is typically a sealed unit. If you installed a so-called "ready strut", that is a pre-assembled strut with the coil spring and strut mount already pre-assembled, the noise you are describing is not from that assembly unless it is defective. If you re-used your coil spring, and strut mount, you might have a problem with the strut bearing in the strut mount or an assembly issue. In either case, YourMechanic would be happy to diagnose this possible assembly issue for you and get it repaired.

3. New gas struts installed groaning noise like rubber on metal can or should you grease them?