Q: Sometimes I feel resistance from my gear shifter when shifting and need to use extra force in order to change gears.

What could cause my gear shifter to be difficult to move? For the most part it moves normally, but sometimes it is feels as if the base of the shifter is stuck in a big wad of gum; I have to push or pull pretty hard while shifting. It will move but requires a lot more force compared to its normal state. When this happens, it can be difficult to know whether I am about to shift into 3rd or 5th gear. There doesn't seem to be a pattern for when this occurs. It happens in the hot summer and cold winter. Also, this issue may occur when start driving and continue for the whole trip, but may not occur during the very next trip I take. Thanks for any advice you may have!

Hello.

From what you describe it appears that you may possibly have a worn out transmission shifter bushing. This is component serves as a linkage bushing for the shifter, to the transmission. It is made of plastic, and thus, is susceptible to breaking or wearing out.

The shifter bushing, or bushings, are located at the base of the shifter, and will require disassembly of the vehicle’s interior to access. If the bushings are okay, then it may be possible that something is lodged in the shifter mechanism, and is jamming the shifter.

If you’d like to get this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come diagnose your shifting issue firsthand and help you fix it accordingly.

• Sometimes I feel resistance from my gear shifter when shifting and need to use extra force in order to change gears.