Q: I have a constant scrapping sound coming from my right front wheel. It gets worse when braking.

There is a constant scraping noise coming from my front right wheel. It gets worse when braking. I can see and feel grooves in the rotor of the wheel in question. I have an appointment with one of your mechanics on Monday July 3rd, 2017 to have the rotors and brake pads replaced. Would this be a good assumption on what is wrong?

With a normally operating braking system, there shouldn’t be any significant grooves in the brake rotor so it’s good to get that addressed. It is possible that the pad is "hanging up" in the groves or perhaps the pad material is worn down to the steel backing plate and either factor could account for the noise. However, there are other components that can cause noise, such as a loose brake caliper and/or torque plate and, in come cases, wheel bearings. There is also a dust shield in the brake assembly and if dislodged that can cause these sorts of noises. In any event, you’ll be in good shape as the mechanic obviously knows of these causes and frankly all possible causes of the noise you are detecting and so it will be resolved. You might ask the mechanic to check and confirm that your brake calipers are re-usable (as well as the sliding pins). If the calipers on your car are original, I would have my doubts as to their condition; indeed, if your existing brakes wore out prematurely, you have to consider the possibility that the calipers are not retracting as well as they should once you release the brakes. What happens then is the pads are kind of stuck against the rotor and then you can end up with the kind of abnormal wear you are describing. The mechanic will look at the calipers but that is something to consider. In your favor, your car has 73,000 miles (not much) but the issue is the elapsed time. After 18 years, a lot of corrosion builds up on brake calipers (and the sliding pins which allows the pads to retract; in fact, those pins will sometimes just completely seize). If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you get the best possible results.

3. I have a constant scrapping sound coming from my right front wheel. It gets worse when braking.